PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde from zero to Mach 2 in minutes?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2008, 18:21
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last time I saw Concorde in flight.

Don't recall any specific records being set ex SNN in the return to service testing but, at the time, there were no SIDs at SNN and no noise restrictions to inhibit ops. SNN would reserve a block of airspace for the ops (as they do for test flights from the various engineering bases at SNN) and the aircraft would normally depart 24 with a right turn out down river heading to the ocean.

One day during the tests they were landing on 06 and it was beautifully clear - a rarity in north Kerry! Being some 35 miles from the airport just south of the (very) extended centreline we sometimes have aircraft on a direct track to Foynes from the ocean when the NAT tracks are favourable.

On this day an ATA L1011 was visible heading toward us from over the Dingle peninsula. Concorde called for an approach from off the ocean on a converging track. As the L1011 passed the house, Concorde had come into view and was catching the ATA and was asked to reduce speed. As the ATA vanished from view Concorde was asked to do a 360 as a problem had occurred on the taxiway and the Tristar would need to back track on the runway to the south western taxiway.

Concorde immediately started a 360 and performed an extended oval, not once but twice, each time encompassing our village at a height of 2,000 feet.

I didn't know it at the time but this was to be the last time I ever saw a Concorde in the air. Having seen the type hundreds of times over the years, I'm not sure if this last time or the time I watched it in the company of awestruck very senior ATC professionals from around the world in the the Tower at LHR, taking off on a wet December night with afterburners glowing and the airport lights shining and reflecting off the rain is my favourite Concorde moment.