PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - antenna for airband recievers
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2008, 23:11
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your receiver has a BNC antenna connector (round, twist about 1/4 turn to lock) then what you need is RG-58 (50 ohm impedance) coaxial wire. Usually black, it was also used for "thin ethernet" so any computer shop with a sense for nostalgia might have miles of the stuff lying around.

Snip one connector off from one end and connect it to a dipole: simply two pieces of wire (copper electricity wire will do), one sticking straight up, the other sticking straight down. Lenght of each wire should be one quarter wavelength. The thread mentioned above has the details but anything between 62 and 75 cm should probably suffice for airband.

One of the wires connects to the core of the RG-58 coaxial cable, the other wire connects to the mantle. Doesn't really matter which goes to which as long as the antenna is mounted vertical, as high up as possible. Also doesn't matter all that much how you make the connection. I used standard household stuff to connect electricity wires together. Works fine.

In my case I used a scrap piece of wood and some tie-wraps to hold the antenna together, and some velcro to tie it to a wooden upright in the attic.