PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life as a Second Officer at Qantas
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2008, 22:57
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Fire cracker. Congrats on the letter. To address your questions:

How accurate are the dates on the "Intent to Employ" letter dates and the actual dates?
They were pretty accurate when they sent them. Things can change and you allude to some of the potential issues facing the industry in your other questions. At this stage and on this date though, it should be pretty solid.

Are the fuel price increases going to affect hiring - i.e. Is my letter serious?
At current levels, no. If they keep going up then that answer is null and void- as are a lot of issues. QF still have a massive training schedule over the next 12 months and there has been no modification to that program since the supposed cut backs have been announced. We still have five or six A380s to turn up over the next 12 months, a few A330s, a few 738s, etc.

Will the Engineer Strike affect hiring - i.e. Is my letter serious?
No, the engineer industrial action won't have an affect on your hiring unless things change drastically- IE the ALAEA step up the action, etc.

B747 is supposed to be better pay than A330, is that true? But that is based on working conditions, correct? I still think I'd prefer the A330 to be with my family, am I wrong?
If you tell QF that you have a preference for the A330 the odds are you'll get it. That said, our EBA is supposedly looking at bringing in fleet pay over the next few years so the only difference in pay between the fleets will be overtime. The 744 will still do more of that so they'll still be paid more (as will the A380). Both 744 and A330 drivers tend to have the same number of days off. The difference is in the length of trips away- and by default, the length of time off at home. A330 will have you home with your family after less time away.

I have more questions, but I'm shy to post as I've seen the responses! PM is a good thing.
Don't stress too much about it. It's pretty easy to sort the wheat from the chaff.