PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 28th Jun 2008, 17:57
Craggenmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is worth it and it is everything I expected it to be. I researched the job heavily, both pros and cons, and the only part that still surprises me is how much time I get off.

However, do not financially ruin yourself by getting into commercial aviation. I was fortunate enough to be able to do my flying training but also go back to another career if it all went wrong. But the important part is this....

If I had had a mortgage, plus wife and family, in no way would have I changed career to flying at 31 years old. It was a calculated risk that has paid off - the best kind of risk and the most satisfying.

I would not place £50k on Red #5, #15 or #23 unless I knew that there were high chances of the jack landing on them. Would you?

I also knew both sides of the coin before commercial flight training having worked in sales and marketing for 7 years. Once I had the flying bug it was an easy but very well thought out choice. I asked myself questions such as how will my life change, will I enjoy it, will I still see my friends at weekends etc... I made sure I knew all these answers before I started. Now when I do miss a party or an event I realise that there will be another one soon that I can attend. Not all things in life are attendable no matter what occupation you are in.

At my age most of my friends are married with kids so I rarely miss something like I would have 10 years ago. This brings me to say that in no way could I have done this job when I was in my early twenties. Once again planning was an important factor in changing career.

After training I instructed for a while which eventually led to passing selection onto jets. However instructing almost led to air-taxi work and small biz-jet work due to contacts made at my PPL flying club. Now I'm on the 319, only one and a half years in, and earn over 50k. Do I miss not having flown turbo-props - yes - but not the low salary. Anyhow, as I'm in my mid thirties and nowhere near retired, perhaps one day I will.

Other factors that make me have few regrets are that I'm still not married, have no mortgage and my girlfriend flies and earns double. This is hugely important and goes along way for lifestyle and stability. I find that previous girlfriends who worked Monday to Friday never had a clear grasp of aviation, what my lifestyle entailed and how I become affected by what I do - the sleep patterns and fatigue in particular.

Anyhow, we plan our rosters around each other’s and I go on plenty of trips with her. As my roster allows 4 days off after a working block of 5, two days holiday gives six days off - enough for a £120 return to CPT or SFO. I met her due to my career change and I'm incredibly thankful for that. I’m sure that marriage and kids will follow soon so part time will beckon. Both our companies have this option in place.

Please remember that these are my experiences and my experiences alone. I understand that other pilots on here will work for different airlines, have different rosters and days off, will have varying sizes of mortgage and also have family not involved in aviation but these will be their experiences/choices.

I’m sorry that people still do type ratings without signing a contract first. Ten seconds research on PPRUNE will tell you not to this.

Aviation has given me much and will continue to do so. I've worked to be where I am and have made sound choices along the way. If I had made different choices then I would be writing a different post.

I do moan from time to time like anybody else but this is my bigger picture

To summarise, So far - so good.

Last edited by Craggenmore; 1st Jul 2008 at 01:59.