PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunderland Flying Boat
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2008, 14:13
Old Hairy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the most memorable "Jollies" for me was a trip to the Keeling Islands,owned by the Clunies-Ross family.Whether we went by invitation or request by Singapore who administered the Islands I do not remember.The Islands had a Cable & Wireless Station and the main industry was the coconut plantations producing copra.Situated way out in the Indian Ocean,it was my first crossing of the equator,which occurred on the 9th Oct.1953 at 1136. Signals had been exchanged ,and we were loaded with Fruit and Veg. from Cameroon Highlands and several packages,some spare machinery parts.
It was a long flog, as we could not overfly Indonesia and had to fly passing the northern most tip at a place called Diamond Point,then south west. It required an early start as it was imperitive to arrive in daylight.It gets dark at six.and you had to land inside the reefs of ring shaped Atolls.Landing on one of the boat channels we then had to proceed very cautiously,as there were uncharted coral heads.One of the only occassions when we had crewmember in the bows using a leadline.Another nautical art! chanting out the calls "by the deep six" "four and a quarter" fathoms Im referring too.Felt just like Captain Hornblower! We anchored using the fisher mans type anchor stowed in the bows,but rarely if ever used.

We were met by Mr John Clunies-Ross,known as King Ross. a very nice but autocratic man. We unloaded all the gear and were invited to a barbeque in our honour.had a great time.Left next morning Via Glugor,where we stopped to refuel. Subsequently these flights were stopped as one boat dragged its anchor and was blown on a reef.I believe it was a writeoff.

Another trip combined with a Navex. was to the Car Nicobar Islands.it had a landing strip of crushed coral and was only used occasionly by Varsity aircraft to refuel.It was manned by One Officer and six Airmen. Must have been a very lonely posting. I know he was delighted to have three officers to entertain,almost like a "Dining In Night" he remarked!.

There were times when it was difficult to takeoff,if there was a dead calm and a glassy sea. you had to break the suction under the hull to get up on the step.It happened once in China Bay.The French were making flights to Saigon bringing in reinforements,using the Latecoaire[spelling?] flying boats they staged thro China Bay.[ They also had absolutely gorgeous flight attendants] After making several abortive attempts,we assisted by getting the pinnace to zigzag in front of it to create a few waves,which was the standard operating procedure for us. Very sad to see them get airborne!!

Once a year,jelly fish spawn, and gathered in huge numbers in the Johore Straits at Seletar.Didnt cause us problems,but it was like alighting on a bowl of goo. The problem was for the poor chaps who had to moorup,all the strops were covered with a film of goo ,which stung like mad.Again, one of the few occassions we endevoured to use the boathook.

Gentlemen ,I have really enjoyed recounting the good old days, Ive already stated she was a marvellous aircraft,rarely let you down.The Far East posting gave forth to a vast diversity of tasks,which made it that much more of a never to be repeated experience. I hope you all enjoyed reading them as much as I have enjoyed relating them.
My final flights were as Krakatoa,bringing one home Tourex,when my original Calshot crew were tasked with bringing back SZ566 "Charlie via Glugor-China Bay-Korangi Creek-Bahrain-Fanara-Marsaxlokk-Pembroke Dock.without a single snag,she vitually purred. 2566 hours of unforgetable bliss.