PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have I Made The Right Decision?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2008, 13:13
EGNMCharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in exactly the same position too, having just finished my A-Levels (Business, ICT & Spanish) I am desperate to get on the long ladder to my ATPL! (Maybe it will remain only a dream?)

I work near enough full time at Morrisons, passed my test a year ago and so far so good, no scrapes and she passed her MOT with flying colours. I am managing to put away around £300 per month into a savings account.

I have applied to the Aviation Academy at LBA to do a degree in Aviation Management and Operations. Perfect for me as I only live 20 miles away and my parents are willing to put up with me rent free.

I have two main paths that I am considering:

1) Stay at Morrisons full time (Circa £15k a year) and start my PPL ideally next summer.

2) Aviation Academy and hopefully come out with a degree and take up some job in an Airport or Airline. Get to know the set up more, make contacts etc, earn (hopefully) better money then Morrisons and in the not too distant future start flight training.

I would much prefer to do the second option but when im sat in a class room watching aircraft taking off I know the burning desire I have will become stronger and I will be thinking dam, those god dam beeps on the checkouts at morrisons = £ = PPL etc.

Its good to find other people in a similar position! So what would you guys and gals do? Its quite depressing thinking that the nearest thing I am to flying is pretending i'm accelerating down a runway .... when i'm actually doing 70 in my corsa down the A1... I even got a Jet engine sound track CD for my birthday for the car ... my parents do know how to take the pi$$ quite well!