PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st Job?
Thread: 1st Job?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2008, 01:15
LUCKY-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto what swift says.

Got my first gig with georgina pastoral co at davenport downs station in west qld on the diamontina river flying a 182Q.

Real remote area!

But...some of the best flying i've done, and i got pretty good hours out of it too, checking waters, mustering, spotting, shopping runs! etc...

You'll be asked to do some pretty left field stuff not always covered in the books...i regularly got called to go pick up the guys just on last light from their days track grading at some random location, no strip, just find a good looking piece of ground, check it out a couple of times and land...haven't been asked to do anything like that since but i found it a good learning experience...

They will expect you to get in there and get your hands dirty though...we were up for 0430 each day, then straight into it...either fixing fences, yard work, building maintenance, mustering, bore running, moving mobs of cattle on bikes or horse....(lost count of the times i got kicked by narly 900kilo brahman bulls!) It's hard work, make no mistake. You're basically a 'jackaroo' who happens to be able to fly.

But i loved it...the people on these remote stations are another breed...tough buggers, characters, a few ferals for sure...but good life experience...good on your resume too...shows your not afraid to get out there and work hard.

PS...you'll never want to eat beef again after 12 months of eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner...especially if you were given the 'honour' of doing the 'killer'...i say go for it though! And make sure you get a Q fever shot before you go....