PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunderland Flying Boat
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2008, 19:48
Old Hairy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
June 28th 1953.
We were tasked to pick up a Admiral,General and a AVM,who had been attending a SEATO Conference in Manila and return them to Singapore.We were to position at USN Sangley Point.Some two days previous a Typhoon had swept thro the Phillipines and on arrival the sea state was a bit rough.Normal procedure was for crewmembers to assume ditching positions,on the upper deck between the main spars.
We made our approach,on initial touchdown,an almighty bang,intercom went dead and the first reaction was full power and we staggered back into the air.We had hit a submerged object.Sorting ourselves out.one of the Gunners,Joe Ibbotsen by name came forrad and told us there was a "Bloody great hole int bottom" we informed Sangley Tower of our predicament and requested flypast to confim damage.They reported a large portion of the planing surface was missing mid Wardroom to step. They further wanted to know if we would be landing on the field.This was quickly declined.No Brakes!! decided we were better off in our own element and would try to beach her.Time was of the essence,it would be dark in thirty minutes. we selected a spot down the coast,shallow water,sandy beach,near Cavite City.Aimed to touch down about 4-600 yards out and run her onto the beach.Informed Sangley of our decision and made the approach,just before touchdown,closed throttles hauled back hard nearly on the stall,to try and use the bit of hull aft of the step,we achieved this ,only to pitch quickly forward as the sea entered,came to an abrupt stop and quietly sank in about 25 feet of water,wings just awash,popped the dinghies out of the wing stowages,boarded and paddled ashore.Apart from a few bruises,nobody was hurt.Shortly after the cavalry arrived Ambulances ,Firetrucks and a USN Patrol boat. Which subsequently stood by the wreck all night to stop the locals who would have removed everything movable!Apart from jackets and personal belongings hung up in the Wardroom.The Captains briefcase with $1000 imprest.was also there.
We were taken back to Sangley,checked in Sick Bay.The Base Commander then took us to our respective Messes,at which we were provided shirts and royally looked after.
We were to be flown back to Seletar by the USN,which I would have enjoyed,but an exchange of signals with FEAF.It was decided a Squadron aircraft would be sent to pick us up.
The next day{Complete with hangover] we returned to Cavite to advise on location of pyrotechnics for removal by Navy divers,who also brought up some personal stuff,but sadly no imprest! They also positioned wide canvas strops,fore and aft of the wing.The intention was to lift the boat onto a barge,using a floating crane.Both of which were enroute

A quick note to those amongst us,never to have been fortunate to have served in the Armed Forces, It is generally common to all military services for junior officers to be given supernumary duties,these usually bear no relation to your primary duties.
In my time I have been Officer i/c Station Band! I cannot read a note of music. The best.Secretary to the RAF Changi Golf Club.For my exemplary duty I was made a Life Member.Then some silly B*****ds built Singapore International Airport on it!!
I digress. The crane had an Officer i/c a Lt. j.g.resplendent in shining whites,obviously out to make his number.There was quite a bit of Brass about including the Base Commander. Lt.j.g. having checked on the weight of the plane,but entirely overlooking she was filled with water,ordered the owner of the crane,A Hairy Assed Three Badged Stoker.to lift. he demurred ,quitely talking ,he wanted to lift,drain,lift drain etc.I gave you an order said Lt,jg. where on Hairy shrugged and applied steady lift,neatly pulling out the centre section. "Peter" was now in five different parts. Not that it mattered ,she was scrap anyway and would be written off. I often wondered about his promotion prospects?
It was then decided to pull the wings,nose and tail sections onto the beach,where we advised on draining tanks.The footnote to this story,the crew arriving to pick us up were somewhat shattered to see the wreckage strewn on the beach and equally surprised to see us all in one piece.
The aircraft concerned was "Peter" of that I am positive.But in my logbook its down as-NL279.but according to Chas Bowyer's book on the Sunderland. it does not exit?neither does ML279.Ive been thro all the possible permutations .no luck.Any idea's?

PS. A Hairy Assed Three Badge Stoker. Is another nautical term to denote someone of considerable experience!