PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2008, 18:38
MamaPut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Things could be getting a bit warmer in the Delta. The US Consulate General has issued the following warning for all US citizens:

U.S. Consulate General LAGOS
NIGERIA
June 26, 2008
Warden Message

Attention all American citizens:
American citizens are reminded that according to recent press reports Niger Delta militants may plan to escalate their activities in regions beyond their previous primary target areas in the Niger Delta region. Possible targets could include expatriate personnel, Western businesses or facilities and locales visited by tourists and foreigners in other regions of Nigeria. We continue to advise all Americans to review their security procedures, remain vigilant to their surroundings, and report any specific incidences of targeted violence toward U.S. citizens or facilities. For telephone numbers for Embassy in Abuja or the U. S. Consulate General in Lagos see last paragraph. You may also email the Abuja Consular Section at: [email protected] or the Lagos Consular Section at: [email protected]

Zalt,

The figure I hear on the grapevine is at least expat 15 pilots from here to go . Meanwhile they're hiring a few national pilots who are leaving Bristow. Quite a few of the Bristow guys I talk to are now seriously looking elsewhere, so maybe some of the CHC surplus will end up with Bristow - though I think there could well be a shortage unless the present escalating unrest causes some of the oil majors to think seriously about cutting back on Nigerian operations . The up and coming places seem to be Angola, Libya, Ghana, Morocco and Algeria, but I doubt they'll need helicopters in numbers like Nigeria has. Who knows, if that post about Caverton getting some 412s is not actually just a wind up maybe they'll have a queue of expats outside their door