PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines says it will lay off 950 pilots
Old 27th Jun 2008, 02:14
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you communist? thats then sort of thinking they used and it destroyed communism.

LoL!

Peter, we're not far in aviation from being destroyed right now. I'm not that far left actually. I'm a conservative Libertarian. I believe in capitalism as long as it allows for meaningful competition in the marketplace devoid of big oligopolies. But the oil market today has nothing to do with the principles Adam Smith laid out of meaningful competition in the marketplace creating "an invisible hand" that will self regulate supply and demand. I don't like big government, but big Fortune 500 mafias are even worse. The apparent collusion in the oil world to manipulate markets needs to be brought under control.

We've been down this road before with the big Trusts and Monopolies. Of course then, we had a good republican president who could balance needs of industry with needs of citizens: Teddy Roosevelt. That got us in the habit of breaking up big abusers like Standard Oil. One hundred years later, we seem determined to repeat history and let the "Big Four" robber barons again take over everything of value and power. I call this "Corporate Communisim: The misplaced belief that all power and wealth should reside in the hands of Fortune 500 CEO's."

I object to these unelected CEO's (unelected by the people that is) running the country from the boardroom. Most of the time they're just not very good at it. How do I impeach a bad CEO as a US voter? I can't. Hell, I can't even seem to impeach a bad puppet president....

Good post L-38, I think you're right. Any country that tries to flood the world with cheap oil, and who won't take worthless dollars for it can expect an aircraft carrier with ill intent to anchor offshore. Venezuela and Sudan may wind up on the radar the way they're going...

Hence my theory that part of our bigger problem is really one of banking (The fed is a private corporation that should not get a cut of every dollar the U.S. prints.) We've gotten rid of the central bank three times before and it just keeps coming back like a bad dream. The 1800's Rothschild Bank Baron's Grandfather said something like: "give me control of a nation's money supply and I care not who makes it's laws."

Of course environmental groups are probably happy as hell, they've been pitching high pump prices as a way to save the planet for years.... No one seems to care about elderly people in the northeast freezing to death since they can't afford heating oil.

Better add one more conspiracy to pacplyer's list there, Peter: Texas oil and environmentalists colluding to jack up oil prices....

Now if I just had some proof!