PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots Fall Asleep at The Helm
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2008, 01:23
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
.. it has ever been thus for back of the clock operations .. my favourite story involves one of our now retired and beloved elder statesmen (never got around to finishing my DC3 endorsement with him) .. still with us, fortunately .. so no names, no pack drill ...

Long, long ago before glass cockpits were a glint in an OEM's eye ... two stalwart and intrepid folk were droning over the pond from Tassie to Essendon in a Gooney Bird ... cut a long story short ... one woke up somewhere north of EN .. turned the bird around .. and eventually raised ATC on the blower when back on the correct route into EN .. normal sorts of tall tales and true covered their sins ... as normal protocol had it in such circumstances back then

Taxying in .. ATC requests that they call the tower on the phone after shut down ...

ATC guy says something along the lines of "Geez, (name omitted), I must have nodded off ... missed your earlier position completely .... if it's OK with you .. it's OK with me ? .. (aviation example of quid pro quo ..they were mates .. as was the usual case in those olden days)".

Another, like tale, involving freighters saw that legend, Jason X, (who happened to be the father in law of the former tale's subject at one stage - is aviation not an incestuous Industry ?) .. sound asleep in a Gooney when one motor let go ... the F/O, one Barry X (from whom I got the tale) fixed the problem and settled down to OEI flight .. the Commander stirred from sleep .. observed that all was well .. and, directing the F/O to carry on .. retired once more to his slumbers ...

The only tale I can relate at my expense involved my nodding off during the landing flare one very early morning .. and it was my sector .. a flurry of hands from the other seat saved the day ...

These days I really think I prefer a tipple and into bed .. rather than getting up to go to work ...