PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunderland Flying Boat
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2008, 23:01
Old Hairy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caramba, I am so pleased you have enjoyed my stories.Although I was at Calshot at the same time as your Dad,remember I was a sprog,he WAS a Flying Boat Man.to quote the "Two Ronnies",I looked up to him,he looked down on me!
I am very aware that I came to the Sunderland as a young man,now 79,there cannot be too many of us left.I am priveledged to put these stories in the public view. Delighted they have been so well received. I had just composed my latest, which I had not intended to post yet,but in view of your post and the places you name.I thought you might like it.

The Royal Flight.

!952. HRH Princess Marina.The Duchess of Kent,accompanied by her son,The Duke of Kent,were to make a tour of the Far East.Part of this tour was to include a ten day visit to North Borneo.At that time the only landing strip existed on Labuan Island.So it was decided that the Royal Party would be flown in a Sunderland.I often wondered how she felt about that,as her husband had been killed flying a Sunderland? Using a operational aicraft for the tour was a bit of a headache,when it came to providing suitable accomodations.Although the longest planned flight was five hours,all possible contingencies had to be catered for.It was decided that SZ578 on major servicing would be the the aircraft. and would be repainted dazzling white,with modifications to the Wardroom and other "Facilities". To this end soundproofing ,cushions with slip covers,carpeting,electric fans,teak coffee table and the Wardroom resprayed a tasteful dove grey. A Icebox was fitted in the galley. The next question to be addressed.Who was to Captain the aircraft? My skipper was chosen,he was adamant that he wanted his own crew,so yours truly became a member of the "Royal Crew". The entire crew was not needed,no Gunners would be taken,but we did have a "Savoy" trained Chef added to our number.He hated flying,but what that man could achieve with two primus stoves and a hotplate was amazing!. The Ice box was liberally stocked and although the Royal Party consumed very little,canapes and chilled white wine, We did well! We were also provided with snazzy white flying overalls,boy did we look good.BUT. the bean counters again!! we were give one set for a ten day trip in the tropics,no laundry facilities? Try mooring and slipping with greasy anchor chains,shackles etc in the temps we operated in and maintain an immaculate appearance.We evolved a scheme whereby we would prepare the aircraft on short slip,ready to start.Then change into white suits. One crewmember in the bow in white suit,the rest of us lined up on the wing.Royal party on board,down on the flight deck shed suits,start up taxi out,takeoff.The chap in the bow would leave as soon as the Duchess was in the Wardroom.to be replaced by another crewmember hidden in the heads,that way we managed to keep them somewhat respectable,although we did warn the ADC that should any member of the Royal Party wish to visit the flight deck,we needed some ten minutes notice or they could be some embarassment. But I get ahead of myself.

Anyone who has been involved in any simular operation will know the B*lls**t and panic resorted too,by those responsible for planning.We had,in another aircraft a run thro the trip to check moorings,at Kuala Belait,on a river the mooring buoy was attached to a concrete block that was bloody useless,the river was full of debris.It turned out in the end the Government Officer arranged for the Dyaks upriver to stop all rubbish from coming down.At Sandaken.we were expected to moor to a normal ship buoy,around ten foot long,six foot diameter.If the boat was blown,or swung by the tide we would have been holed.This was all sorted and it was decided that an armed boatguard would be needed,capable of slipping and taxying the boat.quess where I came in?
The final rehearsal in the Royal Aircraft,involved the AOC and Mrs AOC plus hangers on for a full run thro the entire ten day programme.They ate considerably more food than the Royal Party! but it turned to our advantage latter,more for us. Ever had Foie Gras sandwiches,chilled white wine,sat on the wing,watching the sunset,followed by smoking the Royal Markowitz Black and White cigarettes? I have!! followed early the next morning by a launch approaching out of the mist??!! We were not expecting anyone until mid morning,clutching our Webly 38s we told them to stand off and explain what they wanted.A rather immaculate gent stood up and in a plummy voice said "HRH has expressed a preference for brown toast for breakfast.Unfortunately we do not have any,but understand you might have some".To which the Eng. replied,"sorry mate we ate it last night"
The tour went without out incident and was a great success.The itinerary was;
Seletar to Kuching
Kuching to Sibu. Sibu to Kuching
Kuching to Jesselton
Jesselton to Sandakan.Sandakan to Jesselton
Jesselton to Brunei
Brunei to Kuala Belait
Kuala Belait to Seletar.
In between we popped over to Labuan to refuel and restock the ice box. We were quickly relieved of our snazzy flying suits,on the very day we returned to Seletar.!!
I subsequently met HRH,when she presented the standard to 57 Squadron at Honington in1962.she greeted my wife and I like long lost friends,asked after our son,and chatted for five minutes.Now I realize they are briefed in advance,but this was one gracious Lady.