PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ppl first solo
Thread: ppl first solo
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2008, 21:49
Mach Jump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dougie
The solo flights in your training are milestones in youir progress through the course and all the dual training is there just to enable you to complete the solo flights safely.

It's a bit naughty of your instructor to tell you that you will be going solo next time as will raise your expectations and your level of nervousnes, but if you go solo next time, or the time after doesnt matter, as your instructor will pick the perfect time for it, both in terms of your ability, and the conditions.

This will be the first of many solo flights as you continue the course, each marking a new level of skill and confidence in your progress. Then, one day, someone will give you a pink slip and you will be a pilot!

I remember those times very well although they were a long time ago and even now, after all these years , my FOs sometimes catch me looking out of the side window and watching the ground fall away as we take off. Magic isn't it?

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Now I have over 20,000 hours and taught hundreds of people to fly, I realised long ago that it matters not a jot how many hours it takes to go solo, but if it reassures you any, then 14 is perfectly normal for someone not on a full time course.

Good luck! (you won't need it but its nice to have)

MJ