PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EXETER
Thread: EXETER
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2008, 19:05
Huyin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah !!
So now GOD blames the very passengers that provide staff at EXT with a living for the security problems suffered.
Yes, there are 2 search channels but not always both open at the commencement of peak flows.Moreover, if you look back at my previous posts I think the situation in terms of provision of additional facilities could have been addressed cost effectively last summer.
I discern that your particular "rock & hard place " is somewhere between the passenger & the management of EDAL with some input into security.
Well, for what its worth, my view is that EDAL always have accepted flight timings on the basis submitted, regardless of their inability to match them with the airport capacity in its various areas. Having then got the throughput , there are times when it cannot be handled because one or more of the constraining parameters involved is exceeded.
If it is the security at the morning peak then you do need a"pre search" facility which will have tables with trays available for the passengers to get to grips with "water being a liquid" etc, then slide the trays down some lazy rollers until you get to the start of the "search cone" proper.Oh yes, you do need staff at those tables to help. Result, line speeded up immensely because flow into the cone is "smoothed " & ready to be screened.
So why don't you get that?? Because I suspect that EDAL realise that having got the flights into a peak period, then undertaking the above needs staffing for very short periods & you cant use overtime or part timers at that time in the morning so the only way is full timers & the cost goes stratospheric & the staff are not required for 75% of their shift !!
Now, is the root problem the fault of the passenger, however idiotic they may appear to you??
Just as a parallel, I can offer you T3 at LHR , where the passenger has to get to the central area & find the correct terminal, find their airline, check in & change levels to a shopping area that houses the security cone.I'll spare you the walk after security through a modern (confusing) shopping area to the end of Pier 7 or similar. (About the same as walking to the runway from the pax terminal at EXT).Add to this the passenger mix from all over the globe.
HAL (The BAA), much reviled ,have allowed the entrance to the search cone
to be cordoned off for about 50 -75 yards,& have allowed the area to be flooded with OCS staff which assist with the "pre search requirements".Its not perfect, but at least they try, & when added to the scheduling comittees efforts to match flights with capacity, helps somewhat.
Your passenger mix at EXT is pretty good, language problems minimal & with facilities & staff as above, there would probably be no problem.
So GOD, I think it is incumbent upon you, given your status, to turn your ire back on to the Management !!