PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ever flown a plane with a V-tail ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2002, 12:08
Volume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ever flown a plane with a V-tail ?

Have you ever flown a plane with a V-tail? Do you have flown both tail variants of the Bonanza and can tell me about the differences in flight characteristics ? . .There are a lot of planes with V-Tails, most popular seems to be the Beech Model 35 Bonanza but there are much more of them like the Fouga Magister (French Army Trainer), a lot of gliders build in the late 60´s (SKH, SB-5, Standard Austria ...) and even some modern planes like the Robin ATL.. .From the engineers standpoint it is the lightest possible tail design and is also very effective to reduce drag. It is cheapest and requires least tooling investment.. .From the pilots standpoint it is much more controverse, lot´s of them don´t like it although they never flew one. I just had two flights on the H-30 (about 4 hours total time) and really loved it. It was very effective and had low control forces, on the other hand the plane had lot of stability. The control system mixer was poor design, full rudder means centered elevator and vice versa, but this was not too bad because the very efficient controls did not need full deflections of rudder or elevator.

Can someone tell me more ? About different types of aircraft and maybe about spinning characteristics ?