PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Informal heli nights UK (including arrangements)
Old 25th Jun 2008, 19:29
Flyin'ematlast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wycombe sim evening

Helimutt

"any ppl'ers manage to say alive long after entry into IMC? Anyone use the instrument flying skills learned from the PPL syllabus and successfully do the 180degree turn and get out of cloud?"

I managed to get the sim on the ground without crashing - eventually - but my speed was all over the place and I'd have been utterly lost without Leon guiding me back so it was no achievement on my part . Also I'd watched the two previous attempts and thought through what to do. How many of us would have had the spare mental capacity to call Mayday as well without losing even more control!

I found the experience useful as a reminder but having really been into cloud once under supervision (details withheld to protect the guilty) I can assure you that it's much more frightening for real.

I would hope to expand on the brief discussion we finished with though about a "post PPL(H)" training programme.

When I can afford to I intend to do an intensive "advanced auto's" course and I found the Robinson factory safety DVD thought provoking and fascinating not least for it's use of genuine UK video footage of fatal events. I never fully appreciated how quickly an R22 becomes a stone if the RRPM drops too low until watching the DVD. I'd recommend it.

Safe flying to one and all,

Ian.