PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft "could be bombs"
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2008, 19:15
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNS3Guppy

I have flown in the USA and reside in the UK. As you know I hold FAA ATP.
In many ways you are correct as flying especially GA has always been more accepted and you are not burdened by the taxation and costs that we have in the UK.

I was never a great lover of Mrs Thatcher but she did want to reduce government intervention in peoples lives and the volume of red tape and beaurocracy which was inherant from left wing policies of old.

Now we have flipped back the other way where every street is scanned by some surveillance camera, where we pay more taxes than anywhere in the world, where the transport industry is on its knees because of the massive fuel costs (mostly tax) over here.

The Government have introduced stealth taxes to such an extent that for people living in the uk cannot cope with the costs.
All the beaurocracy has been reinstated and with that beaurocracy huge costs and unproductive jobs put into place to create a big brother state.

With all that we do not get the services but we get the living costs to maintain this out of control monster.

Fuel now costs more than aircraft rental. We have landing and navigation charges which would make you go weak at the knees and the government keep examining with a microscope every angle where we can be curtailed more and taxed more.

We have a Government in power who now are so unpopular they do not know how to turn the tide against them.

That why it makes me mad when there is talk about creating a 3000 strong border patrol at whos cost and for what? and further talk about the danger of business jets and 172s being used by terrorists when there are so many more real targets for terrorists which are ignored by our clever masters.

So yes you do have greater freedoms as far as aviation is concerned GA like many areas of transport in the UK is being driven to the wall and destroyed.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 25th Jun 2008 at 21:23.