PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunderland Flying Boat
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2008, 16:29
Old Hairy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warmtoast.You are a star Sir,I shall cherish that photo of her at China Bay.Its now my desktop.
See how standards have lowered since I departed.They are not flying T over E on the mooring mast

I used to enjoy China Bay SAR detachments.laying about in the sun,fishing,snorkling. There used to be a little handing over ceremony.As we were a lodger unit to the Navy at Trincomalee,accomodation ashore was a bit sparse.A enterprising local had errected a Basha Hut [made of palm fronds],which served the purpose of a bar.This gave way to the following ritual.Each crew would choose their smallest member.A line was drawn on the sand floor six feet from the wall,the four strongest would take an arm or leg and on the count of three,throw him thro the wall.Where his nose came to rest,a small flag would be placedIt was then the turn of the other crew.The losers would buy the beer for the rest of the night!! A small reimbursement was made to the owner to effect repairs. Okay,pathetic,but there was little else in the way of entertainment

Thanks once again,you have helped add a bit of colour to my stories