PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B747-100 engine problems on early versions
Old 25th Jun 2008, 14:06
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In early manuals supplied to me prior to ground school, the -3's had a nasty tendency to flame out at the top of climb due to surge bleed valve problems at power reduction. The 7A was a big improvement I gathered. As engineer, I would always place the ignitors on anyway, pull the power back slowly, and then turn the ignitors off. Unnecessary, yes. But I had a classmate who scattered traffic below due to his belief that suction fuel would work as a backup to crossfeed closed and fuel pump off. He was a civil engineer in a former life and believed without question the engineering spec of the engine. What he didn't appreciate was the fact that on old -100's things didn't perform to original spec. While that design still functioned well under 10,000 feet, it was not going to work out of 15,000 on that bird! He was in an argument with the mechanic on what the engine was capable of. He lost that argument.

Of course, he was let go.

I can testify though that the fuel suction actually works good in the pattern. Don't ask how I know......

Cheers