PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines says it will lay off 950 pilots
Old 25th Jun 2008, 08:22
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks, this is only the beginning. Those among us who feel unvulnerable because they are working in for a yet profitable airline should wake up and smell the coffee. We're in for a new era. I give you just a couple of years for people to discover the charms of a summer in Swansea or Le Touquet instead of swaning in Miami or the Malives.
Conference calls will replace those comfy Club class seats. The model used for projections is stuffed. How can one sill say airline transport is growing at 5% a year when capacity is reduced so drastically. This oil crisis is nothing like the others, oil production will never increase. wannabees should reassess their carreer moves.
I'd be very happy to still be able / allowed to fly a 320. Those 950 guys are not going to find a job tommorrow.
By the way, read this fantastic book " The Disposable American " by Louis Uchitelle ( New York Times ). In this case American can be replaced by every nationality under the sun. Chilling but so very true.