PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineneer death in Tenerife South during engine test
Old 25th Jun 2008, 07:39
anartificialhorizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Are the engines on a A320 FADEC controlled and if so can someone pls give me a sound reason for being near a FADEC equiped engine?

I do runups on mechanically controlled engines (although not high bypass ratio), during engine trims you have to be at the engine for adjustments.
I cannot think of any reason for being anywhere near a running engine which is FADEC controlled.
No adjusments to be made equalls STAY CLEAR!!

My thoughts are with the relatives he leaves behind "

In answer to your question, there are a multitude of reasons why you might have to be near a running FADEC controlled engine,not least leak checking components recently fitted which may require higher power settings than idle.

However ALL safety precautions should be taken, including not encroaching on suction areas, which also extend rearwards of the lip, and may require safety harnesses to be worn.

Whilst an engine run guard would not have prevented the suction grabbing the poor guy it would have stopped him being sucked into the engine and given time for the crew to shut down the engine.

There was a guy a BA years back who was sucked into a VC10 engine and was saved by his large anorak and the IGV's. Lost his arm and damaged his hearing I believe......

RIP the poor guy in Tenerife