PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In flight Pilot suicide
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2008, 04:02
gchriste

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a very interesting discussion. There is obviously a very clear message here from the pilots that cameras would not be considered in the cockpit. However there are many other professions where cameras in the workplace are an every day part of the job. Some examples:

- Control rooms in reactors/power plants
- Police vehicles
- Taxis
- Office buildings of various firms
- Busses (in some cities)
etc

Some of these are cited as safety (taxis), some as monitoring (control rooms), some as theft prevention etc (offices, shops).

While I am not saying your opinion is wrong, I find it interesting more the reaction and trying to work out the rationale behind the objection. I assume that every industry that went through the introduction of cameras into the workplace went through similar reactions, however they are now all using them and I guess doing so with little fuss.

Every now and then you see TV footage on the news of something from some type of camera. An example here in Australia would be footage of bouncers bashing some guy outside a pub for example. The camera is in the bouncers work place, and the media have used it against him, but there does not seem some outcry over their installation.

What is it in your minds that makes you think as a group cameras should not apply to pilots, as opposed to other industries?

I understand your doubts over preventing accidents etc, probably true, but for reviewing and learning after the fact?

As I said, interesting discussion and one I am sure will go on for a while as management or regulators try to push them upon you.