PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment
Old 25th Jun 2008, 00:35
JJ_melb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a few Pm's requesting more info about the VRD. I thought I would type up my own tips. I know some of it seems a bit 101-Interviewing-tips but hope you bear with me. Its some of the things I would have liked to have known prior to the day, but at the same time, I made it through without knowing some of these things, so it just goes to show, its all about being your happy self. Hope some of you take away something from it to get yourself more prepared for the big day.

I suggest:

*Smiling - If you can't do it, practice in the mirror to your facial muscles are sore (make it natural looking!)

* Not wearing a suit jacket - keep it to a shirt and tie for a smart yet casual appearance (Unless you look super spunky in the jacket and not too stuffy)

*Be friendly, talk to whomever is next to you, doesnt matter what you talk about, as long as you are talking, everyone is in the same boat as you (think about it, if you're standing there quiet and alone, you'd LOVE for someone to speak to you so you can feel like yourself and not some hermit!)

*Don't sit there quiet before the activities begin, mingle mingle mingle
**Learn the names of people on your table

Tell Us About Yourself
*Be proud of your experiences and life (when you talk about yourself, include some personal stuff to make known you're real person and not just a person made out of work experiences, e.g I spoke about my new kitten i had just brought home few days prior to the VRD- Don't use this bit as if it was an interview, tis meant to be light and easy going - (Virgin wants happy people!)

**Group Activities
*Don't be overbearing when having a group discussion, let others speak
- But do have a point of view on matters, and when it comes time for group presentation, have your own point you would like to highlight on the matter (either make it funny/light or personal and touching(nothing too corny please!...And if you can't do either..Be articulate and speak up smile and look at the group assessors in the eyes- If the opinon/point was reached with another applicant, mentioned his/her name- give credit when its due!...shows your unselfishness and ability to work as a team ))

*Don't umm and errr - Just listen to the question at hand and mention any relevancy it has to your previous roles and the roles as cabin crew

*Don't use TOO much hair product (Guys) (I'm assuming for girls, Don't use too much make up? Natural beauty is more preferred I'd take a guess)

------------------

If you get to the 2 -1 interview stage & Role Play & Multiple choice Test

*Smile more, you made it! (Even hug someone if you feel comfortable enough, its a complete 'YAY' feeling, allows you to be yourself more) (Do this after the people who were cut have left)

Congitive test (Multiply Choice test)
Is quite easy, 30 questions, 30 mins (most finish before)
Read it thoroughly, answer accordingly

2-1 Interview
*pour yourself a glass of water provided if nessecary, and ask if the interviewers want one too (Use their names, Remember their names!)

*Don't be afriad to say you're nervous, *but do mention you're excited to have come that far as well!

* Bring Two copies (or more) of your resume so both interviewers can view your resume if they choose (They read through your WHOLE resume, So know you prevous roles inside out!) (know why you want to be cabin crew too!)
--You are given an outline sheet at the beginning of the day, READ IT!, everything relevant to the job in answering the questions to cabin crew and your expectations of the job and role you play is on this sheet if you read it properly.
- The interview is quite standard, so scratch up on your interviewing skills I guess

ROLE-PLAY
-Be confident
-Learn the name of person in the scenario they are setting up (as if it was a real customer service role you were in)
-Be sympathetic
-Offer solutions (offer alternatives to a problem to bring great customer service)
-Do not pass the buck onto someone else (e.g pretend to call up a manager etc etc is a no no, this is your individual role play, find the solution yourself!)

Thats about the gist of it. Goodluck to all who have VRD's coming up. Anymore questions, just PM me.