PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help for becoming an ATCO
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 23:12
Scooby Don't

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I'll be the first the say this then....

ATC is NOT a "starting" career in aviation. There are considerably fewer air traffic controllers than professional pilots, by a factor of at least 10, probably much more. In the UK, a senior ATCO is paid about the same as a captain in a major low-cost airline, and in the UAE, for example, ATCO pay at one airport is about the same as the basic for an Emirates captain flying wide-body jets. There is a reason for this.

Flying to CPL and ATPL standard is not easy, of course. The exams are pretty tough too, but if you have the money and the time, most people of reasonable intelligence and motor skills can get the necessary licenses. ATCO training has a somewhat higher failure rate than civilian pilot training.

Now, since I've perhaps slapped you down a little, I'll be fair. I do know two ATCOs who became commercial pilots. I am now paid more than them, but if you really want to be a pilot and can take the pay cut, ATC is a very good background to have. I just don't see why you'd spend between 2 and 4 years training for one job, in order to do another for which you can train in a year.