PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All not well at Brookfield!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 17:15
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much of what Camel says is true; much of what others say is also true. Facts: General. An F/O with 1 year experience and fully released on line can, in most large jet airlines, earn 3500 - 4000 euros per month net. At age 23 that is massive when compared to 'apprentice' status jobs in other professions. Big bucks early on.

You then say, about RYR, I'll stay for 3-4 years. Problem there is that about the 4 year mark you will be in the command upgrade window. A command below 30 years old and a 50% salary rise. That is a lot to walk away from and go to the bottom of some major's seniority list. So, you might be sucked in for another 2 years to get the command time to carry with you. You now have to find a DEC vacancy that suits you. LoCo for 30 years is an unlikely option. Swapping similar horses brings slight changes, nothing substantial. So now it's back to RHS of a major and a 10 year wait for a LHS slot. It might be a better life style. but what a hit you'll take. Sometimes a 75% contract in your LoCo as captain might be a better option. Financially you might be better off over your whole career than swapping to a major, and with 25% more time off you might have the life style you wish for.

The times have changed, indeed. it is not what is was and never will be again. However, you may be able to engineer something more to your liking rather than foresaking your dreams. 6 years of hard graft, still a young person, perhaps, and then a quality life full of compromises.