PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Israeli Air Force practices for Iranian strike
Old 24th Jun 2008, 13:30
The AvgasDinosaur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Politics apart militarily I don't doubt that the Israelis have the skill and fire power to carry out the raid into Iran and destroy that nuclear facility. I'm not at all sure they would advertise their intentions in such an obvious way. I think it is a smokescreen for an attack closer to base (Syria ?). The Israelis are cunning and shrewd ( and perhaps a little stealthy) having visited Iraq and Uganda to protect their interests in the past. Why advertise their intentions in this manner. The Iranians can do the maths they know the range of an F-16I ITIRC about 1500 nm with conformal tankage max. Unless the IDF/AF has a stunning trick up its sleeve they are going to require tanking some where along the way and that mitigates against surprise.
Perhaps the stunning trick is a Lavi / Lampyridae hybrid project based on the missing Lavi number 3. Didn't a significant number of MBB technicians from the very top drawer join IAI some years ago. Lavi 1 is in a museum 2,4 & 5 were scrapped. 1 & 2 were stripped to complete number 3 as a technology demonstrator, where is it now? Not too sure on just how the timelines fit for this but it is a thought.
Just my thoughts.
Your comments and observations much appreciated.
Be lucky
David