PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5 Sqn Lightning Wanted
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 11:04
5Sqn-Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your input!

Wow! I'm quite surprised as to the level of feedback over such a short time. Thank you all for your ideas and inputs.

I'll give you a quick update on how the hunt is going so far...

Firstly, I would like to re-emphasise that the aircraft will be sat outside 5 Sqn HQ. It is NOT to be a station gate guard. Thank you to all those that helped clarify this point.

The squadron's intention is not to get it flying or even taxying, but simply to inspire the current generation of serving personnel posted to the squadron.

I have a full list of the whereabouts of Lightnings in the UK. The difficulty I'm having at the moment is in finding contact details for the owners. Many of the aircraft that have been mentioned have been confirmed as unavailable.

The aircraft I am currently seriously chasing up:

XP706 in Doncaster - One of the owners has contacted me and it looks like the other owners may consider a sale or loan. Pending.

XR770 in Gainthorpe looks to be available, but once again, I am having trouble getting any contact details. I may need to take a trip up to the museum to make further enquiries.

XS919 at Wonderland Play Park in Notts also looks to be available. I think they simply want to be rid of it and I am currently awaiting a Director's decision (likely to be next week).

The suggestion to chase up a Vampire or even an F3 has been taken on board. However, I'll go down that path if I fail to secure any of these Lightnings. As a side note, it took 23 Sqn about 2yrs to acquire their Phantom, and alot of hurdles along the way! I am in touch with the chap who managed to achieve it, and have had a few offers of help in physically getting an aircraft here.

I'd like to thank Andy B of LPG and Scott C for their help in identifying the available Lightnings.

I will keep you guys posted as to how I get on. Cheers!!