PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter flying in India: merged threads
Old 24th Jun 2008, 09:02
bogey@6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly in India on contractual basis for the last two years based in Delhi. We do mostly contracts for State governments or often elections. I have a permanent condo unit (provided) in Delhi but, I get assigned offbase for as long as 3mos at a time. I do 3mos on and 1mo off.

The paperworks you do only on your first arrival and subsequently during renewals in which they pull you out of assignment to appear personally. Not much hassle really and if you are amiable with the staff-- works like a breeze.

I must say helicopter flying in India is one of the most organised operation. You don't get dispatched without being provided with the accurate coordinates taken by host authorities. They provide prepared landing areas surrounded by police line. That is the case all over the country.

FLYING..

You file flight plan personally (even the airlines). Pay Airport Charges and issue you Flight clearance. That's half of the effort. You then need to get an Air Defense Clearance. On initial call up to Clearance Delivery you need to tell them clearance #s issued to you.

Before lineup you will be issued your ATC instructions so be prepared with a Xerox mind or set down your skid type helo and copy. It could be a few words or a big story depending on the traffic situation. Codes are issued-- so stick to your assigned altitude lest you get reported by TCAS flaunting big trucks! Lot's of Air Bases so be prepared to report en-route even if these Bases are more than 30miles from you. You close flight plan on arrival at destination through your mobile phone.

A big surprise to me though are some private airstrips dressed to the hilt-- ILS, etc.

WEATHER..

Summertime gets very hot onshore-- expect 40+. T'storm activities get pretty rough-- dropping trees and flying debris all around. Rain always improve visibility (like harmatan).

Monsoon season is from around may to september.

LIFE IN INDIA..

People are generally friendly. You have to open up to them. A few efforts in helping or being useful returns to you in a big way. I've no problem. I try all the delicacies. They have good medical facilities as well-- depends how good you want it to be. Medicines are so cheap but good quality. I think one pharmaceutical there ranks are one of the biggest worldwide.

There are good hotels at major cities but even remote areas have something nice to accomodate you. Food is international and local as well-- depends on what you like. Lot's of dairy products. Mutton and chicken is the usual fare. You could become a vegetarian without noticing at all.

I guess it all boils down on your perspective. If you go there for the job-- it's a good place. If you are the pencil pushing urban yuppie-- better you stick where you are.

If you need more info or assistance-- pm me.