PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunderland Flying Boat
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 08:18
Old Hairy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part 3.
Airborne 8 Hour Evaluation.
18th Dec. dawned bright and clear, we were airborne by 0800,heading for the Western Approaches.The crew of eight,plus the Boss and three trappers.Im sure you have all endured these flights.We were put thro our paces .Emergencies and drills etc. All performed with no comment,just silently observed.Bombing.Gunnery,short OFE.then back to Calshot. I think even the quality of the meal served in transit was critically judged.Back at Calshot for several approaches,more emergencies,then the final approach.We knew we were in for the dreaded Broken Float Drill!!
A quick word of explanation. Should one be unlucky enough to lose a float for whatever reason comes the time you have to alight,and on stopping "Murphys Law" says you will fall on the wing sans float and capsize,ie. you turn turtle.So a drill was evolved whereby the entire crew,except the Captain and engineer assemble on the wingtip with a float forcing that down.The pinnace would position under the other wing,until help arrives. Did I hear you say simple enough?? Let me run you thro.
Touchdown.....".Broken Float Port" The W/Op seated next to the astro hatch,leaps up open hatch, grabs the end of a coil of rope permanently stowed and secured by the hatch and runs to the end of the starboard wing ,sits and pulls rope taut. He is followed by the rest of the crew,until all are seated on the wingtip....I forgot to mention.......the Captain must retain enough speed,around forty knots to have aileron effectiveness to hold wings level.You have to run 5 to 6 feet behind two Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasps.If you run too slow you will be blown off,too fast,can you stop? The wing is covered with the remains of seagull crap ....and its bloody December and its getting dark. Get the drift? During this the pinnace,who knows what going to happen runs behind to pick up any poor bugger who's gone "Oggin Bobbin".
We did okay. no one fell off.We taxied in,moored up refuelled and put the aircraft to bed,meanwhile the Boss and the Trappers left without comment.

The following morning we had a pre-planned visit to Saunders Roe at Cowes.We had the conducted tour of SRA 1 and the Princess Flying Boat.A big beautiful aicraft.The flight deck was huge.It was such a pity no suitable engines could be found. They were mothballed at Calshot for several years before being scrapped.After lunch on the Company,we returned to Calshot on the Pinnace to get exam results and final assessment.

We met with our respective examiners for a fairly detailed rundown on the evaluation flight.Points where we could improve,pithy comment.After all this was a jealously guarded exclusive band we were attempting to join!!
We then gathered in the main lecture room to be addressed by the Boss. I remember his remarks to this day..." Congratulations Gentlemen" You are now that enviable combination of Aviator and Sailor. You have reached Valhalla.The cream of His Majesty's Royal Air Force.Your efforts to complete this Course in a small amount of time are noteworthy,but you still have much to learn and We wish you well. You will now leave on 14 days embarkation leave before your posting to Far East Flying Boat Wing,Seletar ,Singapore.

It may be over dramatic,but I'll tell you anyway. Can you imagine my feelings?? I was 21 years of age,to quote my old English Master "I had reached the Acme of my Pinnacle"...the world was my oyster and.....I was a FLYING BOAT MAN.
Now entitled to have verdigre on my hat badge,walk with a roll and the final accolade. Spit to windward.
I can look out my lounge window,over Southampton Water to Calshot,see Calshot Castle,the old Sunderland Hangers,now a Activities Centre.Nearly sixty years have passed but gentlemen some things have not changed. I can still splice wire ropes read flag hoists,love that aircraft and still hate bloody seagulls!!!

S'land thanks for the links.Great stuff,will bookmark for my files.
Thats the end of conversion.Can pen some more of my time in the Far East If you like.Your call?