PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Car - Today's Pilot
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 07:39
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can remember reading an article about Molt's creation many (many, many) years ago. I was greatly impressed by the (apparently) ease of conversion from car to kite and back. I also chuckled at the bit where the author stated that the Aerocar with its torquey aero-engine continually out-accelerated the accompanying V8 powered car on a winding hilly road (IIRC).

A couple of weeks ago, I was back in the US again, and visited the museum at Kissimmee while waiting for a propeller to be NDT'd locally. The museum, which carries out Harvard flights, made great noise about the FW190 rebuild ongoing in their hangar.

My attention, however, was drawn to Molt Taylors 'airworthy' Aerocar. I say 'airworthy' as the poor thing had suffered slight hangar rash. This did not distract from the fact that this was truly a car and an aircraft. I closely examined all those interesting corners that hide all the good bits, as well as generally appreciating the genius idea in toto. The Aerocar was even fitted with an ELT.

The propeller ready, we had to leave. As I walked away, I pondered on how long it would be before we see the likes of Molt Taylor's Aerocar again.

Of course, if it was type certified (was it?), someone (individual, group or company) could restart production. Don't know if grandfather rights would extend to the vehicular aspect though.

camlobe