PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britains Youngest ATPL Holder
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2008, 07:21
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with peddling Bananas. They're a great source of energy.

I take your point Adios. I was deliberately painting with a broad brush to make a point. I don't know Josh and he is probably a very nice, friendly chap. I think I said this in a previous post (unless I deleted it while editing). However, it appears from what others have said that he didn't do all his A-Levels at 16, so that changes the debate slightly. In any event, I agree that getting a top grade for the ATPL requires a great deal of effort. I put in a fair amount of effort too. I don't know what the average ATPL grade might be, but I do know from personal experience that you can get, say, 98% for Principles of Flight without mastering the subject or having a mathematical background. But it's certainly easier to get high grades when you're in your teens. Your brain absorbs things more quickly. I remember studying things in ATPL Meteorology earlier this year and suddenly remembering studying the same thing when I did my Geography Degree in the late 90s. I sat there amazed, recalling that I had understood it all back then, but now, 10 years on I couldn't get my head around it!

I have no idea whether this young guy values the huge investment he's making in his chosen career path. I haven't passed judgment on him in that respect. Hell, I invested a lot of money in becoming a lawyer and I've chosen to leave that profession.

I guess I come to this debate from the prospective of someone who made decisions to embark on a particular career at the same age as Josh, invested a lot of money and effort, and ultimately decided that it wasn't for me in the long term. I see so many guys aged 20/21 doing their ATPL and I wonder how many have really sat down and looked at themselves and what they want. Despite being a pretty sensible, well-rounded guy, I made stupid decisions when I was younger. I can honestly say that I matured more between the ages of 21 and 25 than I did between 16 and 21.

Berksflyer - I think you'll find I said he was clearly of above average intellect and must have worked very hard. All credit to him. My point, and one which I've been debating with Adios, is that I don't think you have to be a genius to achieve what this guy has achieved. If you aren't a genius, then, IMHO, putting so much effort into such a narrow career path, at such a young age, means that you miss out on the broader picture. To use the tired metaphor: you are putting all your eggs in one basket. You're also missing out on so much of the fun of being young. There's no rush to get into the right-hand seat of a jet!

PS: If I had my time again, I would still go to University and then turn to flying training.