PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 20:25
1d2d3d4d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMC training

Hi Guys

I decided to bite the bullet a couple of weeks ago and start training for an IMCR. I needed to move up to a PA28, an hour of general handling followed by an hour of circuits, then booked my first session on instruments. It's like starting over, you know, levelling out, power attitude trim but now your heads inside the cockpit and the horizons only a couple of inches wide. It took a little while to get an efficient scan going AH, altimeter AH, DI, AH Altimeter etc. We did climbs and level out, straight and level, rate one turns onto a heading both ways. We did a rate one turn through 360 and timed it on the stop watch. We did recoveries from too steep a turn (angle of bank beond rate one) unusual attitudes and also from an approaching stall (sudden increase in altitude rapid loss of airspeed). I was really surprised on how much my flying accuracy improved in just an hour. By the time we started the return to the airfield I felt I could control the heading and altitude, then my instructor "Vectored" me into a base leg join while I was still under the hood, making all the changes of heading, altitude and of course power all on instruments.

I thouroughly enjoyed myself, my flying improved no end and I can't wait for the next installment. I'd recommend all PPL's to have a go, use your next bi-annual with an instructor as an IMC taster thats what I did! I'll let you all know how I get on in the next lesson

Cheers all Chris.