PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 19:50
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regard to Airbus can you please state your reference to the severity of harm concerning the AD? And what is the level of risk? And where is the reference to ALARP? Forgive me if it is in your link but I didn't see it.
As TWA800 exploded due to a fuel tank explosion with the loss of all onboard, you have to conclude that the risks of such an explosion are catastrophic. Other ground based incidents that have happened on (I think) 737s etc. either destroyed the aircraft or took off the wing in a way that would also have led to the loss of the aircraft.

ALARP is a principle. You can deduce how it applies to the Directive I mentioned by thinking about what is behind it. To take an aspect of it, the FAA/CAA/DA etc. have established that the "white clips" carry a greater risk of contributing to wire chaffing and hence possible explosion than "blue clips". The cost of changing these clips during routine servicing is potentially quite low. Hence whilst the risk of chaffing & explosion is probably very very low (as it needs other things to go wrong as in TWA800; the causes can be quite complex), the cost of changing the clips is also quite low - hence it is reasonably practical to undertake this measure. It is by definition therefore an ALARP measure. Should all the affected Airbus/Boeing aircraft be grounded until the clips are changed - in an ideal world you could say yes, as until its done the aircraft risks are not technically ALARP. You could also argue this would be an unreasonable, impractical approach to take, given the massive loss of revenue it would incur on the airlines for what is a very low risk. You could also argue that ensuring that all the clips are changed within say 2 years is taking an ALARP approach as it is reasonable to include consideration of practical embodiment timelines. When you look at the content of the AD, it is pretty clear I think that the last interpretation is what the CAA have adopted.

Remember other measures have already been implemented.
Same as Nimrod - no more AAR, no more hot pipes. The parallels are interesting, no?