PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 08:35
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gupp Gupp Gupp,

I don't see why you feel it's necessary to wildly exaggerate or mischaracterize the procedure I outlined that you clearly have no experience with.

Did I say anything about blowing tires? No. If you were a captain who taxis you would know that by wreck I mean scuffing the center of each tire tread in the tight turn. This does not "Blow" the tire. It simply reduces the time between it's next recap. Also, if you will re-read my posts you will discover the earlier basis of the conversation was taking care of the airframe by not stopping in turns so as to not put stresses on the airframe. And clearly we were discussing avoiding a broken window while at the same time being cognizant that it was a real risk. You, however, weren't even aware it was a risk, if you will recall, and challenged me by asking if it's ever happened, and if I've personally witnessed it. A pilot doesn't have to witness damage to know how to avoid it. Right? We can learn from the insights and experiences of others. Some of us can.

It is disingenuous of you to suggest that anybody following an approved procedure is "intentionally" trying to damage something. It's apparent to me that you just don't understand that the modern book was still being written while I was flying the 200F. We invented the GPWS terrain escape maneuver, for example, that all airlines now follow. We were not trying to damage the airframe into mountains before that..... that procedure, along with many others was penned in blood from dead colleagues who weren't aware of the hazards of third world atc. The evolution of FAR's and accepted industry procedures is an on-going effort.

You're a co-pilot aren't you? Or a Captain upgrade in his first year?

Not an assumption. Just a question.

Cheers

Last edited by pacplyer; 23rd Jun 2008 at 10:26.