PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 04:40
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Pacplyer: Aviation Week stated several years ago that the missing aircraft logbook pages on that TWA 727 were mysteriously found after a strange, decades-long absence. The pages documented uncommanded LE extension before the Hoot Gibson incident over Michigan, and Boeing's attempts to "invent a cause" for the incident. I saw the article in a public library, don't know the date.

Somebody else mentioned the substandard, worn-out parts in so many aircraft. How many spare parts have been reworked?

Our problem a few nights ago might have been caused by the present airline outsourcing mania.
Four start attempts (packs off, both pneu. x-feeds open etc, normal 36 psi, valve open light..), using the 'abnormal book' procedure to double check the last three, no rotation on N2, oil press., nor N1.
The spare starter, which was a reworked part, would not fit on the engine after two difficult hours for both mechanics (engineers). I doubt very much that the spare starter came from an airline facility. And in the starter which they removed from the jet to allow the spare to be connected, it had never been lubricated and the impeller had seized. He showed us the gouges in the grey metal. In other starter problems, the shaft shears at a high speed. This time, lack of lubrication.

A Captain aborted during the initial takeoff roll over a year ago because the rudder pedals were not both connected to the nose gear: one had apparently not been connected in the normal manner.
Better than finding out during a winter night landing when the tower is often closed somewhere.
The Check Airman who was in the right seat told me about their incident.
This was soon after out-sourced maintenance: $$$$.
My main sympathies, along with for those Kallitta pilots, are with our new-hires and the huge numbers who returned from a five-year furlough to watch this industry continue deeper into a melt-down with little seniority.

Back to some hobby websites.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 23rd Jun 2008 at 04:55.