PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Nomad Return?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2008, 03:54
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good read about Nomad development and service history here:

http://www.fourays.org/features_2005/nomad/nomad_1.htm

There are a few minor innaccuracies in the text but overall i think this is fairly much spot on. I'm glad to see all the armchair design experts have got their two cents in already (whack some PT6's on, 240 kts etc.) The perfect design remedies must be stunningly brilliant if you have no experience in that field and especially if you are completely ignorant of egineering and certification procedure.

Some one like djpil actually does understand these issues and makes sensible and informed comment, thankyou DP

Get real and try to stick to the truth if you can guys, the old gonad carries about the same as a caravan at about the same speed but uses less fuel. no doubt that the experienced nomad drivers know what they are talking about re stol etc but to compare the N24 to the PC12 is not apples with apples. From my experience I wouldn't exactly call the caravan a stol ship for that matter either, and you will definately rack up more M/E turbine time in a nomad on any given sector than you will in a PC12, 208 or a Beech 200, is that not what you want in the log book?

I am surprised that many commentators on this forum love to criticise the media with blazing indignation over almost any comment that they have any slight knowledge of, but quite happily sit back, quote emotive media articles and fuel the "Nomad Deathship" fire that the press and TV of the day built around what is basically a very sound and economical airframe.

and yes the engines would do much better if the much refined RR250 B17F2 replaced the older allison marks.

had my say now I can get back to the real world

HD