PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK student think of doing PPL in USA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 19:46
nmcpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've heard the US is bad, better avoid it hadn't we? Especially when those who've never been are the ones giving us the advice.
Not sure if you are referring to my comment but as stated I have flown in the US. Plus am in the US flying right now also. But it completely depends right now I am in Arizona, doing the CPL and its so quiet and desolate with a LOT of uncontrolled airspace to the point where I haven't even requested a service yet, and have been told I won't do for my entire CPL.

Where as in the UK flying around the area I fly in there, Stansted etc. I'm listening out on 2 radios at once because I'm going through the Luton/Stansted corridor and trying to avoid ATZ's left right and centre. The radios are different, I flew a bit as a beginner in Florida then came back to England did my RT test with a pilot who is a training captain for BA and his comments to me were your radio is too Americanized too much slang so ended up having to redo it a 2nd time a week later.

Agreed flying a plane is flying a plane and once you are experienced transitioning between the 2 differences really isn't very hard at all but as a complete beginner having continuity is the key.

I'm not really saying "America is a bad place to learn to fly" because the instructors will be of the same quality and aircraft. But if you are planning on getting an ATPL learning to fly in a different country, spending weeks revising all their rules and regulations then coming back to England or wherever and having to somewhat start from scratch learning all the differences again just seems like it would somewhat increase the amount of work you have to do. Meh just my opinion I only sit on here to kill time because its 45 degrees outside