PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advise on landing technique
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 19:26
Troy McClure

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modified from a post I wrote last year:

Look as far ahead as you can.

By looking at 'infinity', your eyes diverge so you gain peripheral vision.

When the runway edge 'touches' the bottom of your headset, start the flare. When it reaches the middle of your ears, you're down (works at night too).

During the flare, NEVER pull back more than 1/2 inch in one go (and I emphasise in one go - don't assume 1/2 inch will be enough).

If 1/2 inch not enough, pull back another 1/2 inch and repeat as necessary until your main wheels are down (I've had students get everything right to about 2 feet and decide they've done enough, then bounce).

If 1/2 inch too much, you may balloon but only very slightly, so wait for it to sink back down, then continue as before.

Sometimes you'll need several consecutive 1/2 inch pulls in quick succession, just a microsecond between each to assess. The best landings from the right approach you'll find you need about 4, a second or so apart.

While this is going on, point the aeroplane down the runway with your feet and keep it on the centre-line with aileron. (That's crosswinds sorted too then.)

Once on the ground (whether you slammed it in or greased it...), spend a few seconds looking at the end of the runway. This is what being on the ground looks like. You should find (as mentioned above) that the ground in your peripheral vision is around the middle of your ears.