PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dayseemal...or Point?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2000, 08:05
Bear Cub

Red face

Squelch...thanks for the research.

Couple of points to make though....

Firstly the "is it a bad thing" question was an attempt to find out if anyone thought there was a potential for conflict of words...as in your own example of "cleared down to nine zero".

I certainly did not mean it as a search for people to criticise the Americans (I can do that on my own <grin> ).

The word "decimal" - especially with the phonetic pronunciation is so clear and unambiguous...but a potential pain in the a**e. "Point" seems equally clear...so why don't the Europeans like it enough to use it? The FAA has filed a deliberate notification of change...they have said "we WILL use 'point'"...I wondered is there a conflict phrase.

The whole point of the thing is just to find out if I can say to students/pilots/enthusiasts/airline passengers (in conversation) that the USA uses the word point but the rest of the world says decimal. I didn't want to state it as fact if it isn't strictly true (a "point" that some other ppruners may like to take on board).

Other thing to mention....having read your signature block is that even the pests are here for a reason...and who has the authority to label them as pests anyway?

The main thing, though, is that the bears will only shoot back in self defence. They wont do it for "sport".

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!