PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 10:08
Flamin_Squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings all.

Excellent thread. I'm a newbie doing their PPL at the mo, looking into whether a career change into aviation is plausible so I hope you guys will tolerate a few naive questions!

At 26 I've spent 4 years as a mechanical engineer (does previous employment have any influence on pilot job prospects?) in building services and although I've got excellent job security and okish pay, it's can be boring, and with little job satisfaction. In that respect, the fact that the novelty of flying may wear off (if I go for it and make it) doesn't bother me - I know what a properly boring job can be like.

That said, from reading other threads on here, jacking in my job in the optimistic hope of training and getting paid to sit in a cockpit at the end of it would seem to be a bad move.

Anyway, the main question I wanted to ask was, does anyone know what pilot prospects are in the states? I may well have the opportunity to live and work there, so if I've got a better chance of getting a flying job there it's something I need to consider.