PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA flight diverts to BOS
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2001, 13:04
Mick Stability

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The use of det-cord and P4 ignited by a match is a logical way around airport metal detectors, but it could have been stopped by X-raying the shoes. I find it no surprise that the departure airport was CDG, not much surprises me about that place these days. They’re going to have to stop running it like a farmyard and more like an international airport.

Terrorists fear the chance of discovery and public disclosure of failure. All they need is the risk that at a particular airport they are likely to be rumbled and they’ll go elsewhere. We need to enhance scanning equipment without delay and use sniffer dogs at all airports.

This is vindication of BALPA’s assertion that security stops at the aircraft side, after that your in a survival situation.

I have to agree with ‘les testicules canin’, the public humiliation of airline crews at security does nothing to enhance the professional image of the trade, and indeed my lead passengers to think that a particular airline is being singled out as a security threat. Crews need to be screened in a discreet crew channel away from the public gaze.

Thank God we stopped this one, well done to the crew and particularly to the very brave stewardess.