PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Nomad Return?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2008, 22:54
Al E. Vator

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
I like the Nomad, especially the 24 - it looks right.

Perhaps if they beefed up the tail area, popped a little extra fuel capacity in somewhere and got a few more knots and extra power (if this option didn't make it prohibitively expensive) by bolting on a couple of of PT6's in it could be even better.

To those who say Aus isn't 'big' enough to have its own aviation industry I say bollocks. Sweden produces SAAB's (9 million people). Switzerland produces Pilatus' (7.5 million). Holland produced until recently Fokkers (15 million). Australia has 21,000 people. Canada has a few more than Aus (33,000) but produces a wide range of Bombardier (DeHav Canada) aircraft from turbo props (Dash 8s) to corporate jets (Learjets, CRJ's etc etc) to airliners (the new 100 seat thingy).

And to those who say the Nomad is a problem because it's too slow I also say bollocks. When your hauling tourists around the Kimberleys or the Grand Canyon or freight in Africa, speed isn't really an issue. Ther IS a huge market for this category of aircraft. Why else would investors be restarting the (more expensive) Twin Otter production line.

Good luck Gippsland. Go get 'em. You will experience nay-sayers (it's so easy to be smugly derisive) but rise above this as you have with the G8. There IS success to be had.