PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United flight canceled after upset pilot refuses to fly
Old 21st Jun 2008, 17:06
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411a:
Don't want to work?
Goodbye.
Plenty more where this malcontent pilot came from.
ALPO is no better...just a bunch of spoiled brats.
And this is represents the safety culture established at your airline under SMS?

No wonder your contributions are put on auto-ignore.

For the record, I like Paper Tiger's scenario. BTDT. I've also got off a flight or two over the past 35 years which, through circumstances quite familiar to all line pilots, I wasn't fit to fly because my passengers' welfare came first and not my company's concerns over scheduling, aircraft routing or management's concerns over the actions of "another prima-donna pilot" as is the attitude succinctly expressed in your words.

Judgement within this forum is as swift as the lifetime of a Higg's particle but aviation human factors and particularly SMS requires, especially of management as SMS is implemented, precisely the opposite, where judgement is suspended in favour of curiosity at least until the facts are comprehended and can be dealt with intelligently. What does, "Goodbye" contribute to the dialogue? How does such an approach further SMS within your organization especially in the face of what appears to be a significant and responsible aviator's decision on flight safety?

Regardless of genesis, for the two must be separated as almost all have done here, the Captain made the correct choice even though he may be considering that genesis privately and perhaps envisioning alternative strategies to avoid such confrontations next time. These are issues about which pilots are passionate - the same passion in terms of exactitude that keeps their passengers safe.

Consider the statement offered and observe how it has not carried the dialogue on safety anywhere, but has instead turned it inwards when the opposite is required by all, to implement SMS well at major and small carriers alike.