PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another 210 crash Namibia
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2008, 15:29
BushCaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I've been flying in Nambia for 2 years and have been very shocked by the growing number of incidences that have been happening recently!

First of all fuel starvation due to forgetting to change tanks is unexcusable! And this is not the first time this has happened in Swakopmund, not long ago another 210 went down just before the threshold due to forgetting the fuel selector!

In my opinion the reason is due to cowboy pilots being unproffessional and putting peoples lives on the line! Flying is NOT a game!
Yes its fun going low level, doing formation with 7 other aircraft, dodging trees, powerlines, sand dunes etc..But if you want to do that, do it with your own aircraft and by yourself!

The probable reason that the pilot of the latest incident didn't change tanks after the one going dry is cause he was doing a base leg at 50ft, at that height there is no time to do anything!

I also believe that training for the scenic pilots is not enough. At the end of the day, the 210 isn't the easiest plane to fly, production was discontined for a reason!
Some companies require 50hrs of training on the 210 before pilots go 'online', and you don't hear of them having any problems!!

2 things must change: Training and Mentality!

Keep it safe guys....