PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Pilot!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2008, 13:51
99jolegg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think reading books, articles and features that have and will be suggested is a good idea. However, the many that I have read normally use sound experience of life, maturity and education as a given, therefore, they'll often offer advice as to the practical side of commercial flying rather than the personal qualities needed as prerequisites to applying to an airline. I haven't read the book Redsnail has referred you to, so could be wrong here.

Best advice I could think of for you (bearing in mind I'm no qualified than the next person) is that you start with the basics. Forget the licenses, hours, exams and airline jobs for a moment and focus the next few years on getting your personal qualities up to scratch. That is, engage in some teambuilding via work or extra-curricular activities, go to university if you can afford it, or make sure you do plenty of work around people. Voluntary work is often a good route for this - you have the opportunity to work with lots of groups of people in a hands-on and practical environment; similar to the type of work that airline piloting is based around. Also focus on your current studies so you have a good basic education.

You are right. Nobody knows you on these boards, but we do know the behaviour you have displayed....along the lines of aggressive, defensive and mostly immature.

As soon as you become a well-rounded person with a good attitude towards life and a sound education, you can only succeed.

If you don't embark on the basic stepping stones, any experienced Human Resources officer / ex airline Captain will very quickly pick up on something not being right. You might get lucky and be good at hiding certain traits, but they'll certainly have a doubt about you and be assured that if there is a doubt, you don't get the job.

Low houred pilots fighting for commercial jobs is competitive, very competitive. Why do yourself a disservice and put yourself out of the running at the beginning?

Good luck with it all