PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 21st Jun 2008, 13:49
Distant Voice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFZ 90

I think you may be reading too much into this............What if the draft was wrong?
I do not think that I am. I have copies of several QinetiQ reports, each one contains an Administration page listing "Record of changes". Every report, except one, shows the first entry as being the "Initial issue". And why not? These are independent reports, compiled by a professional body and checked out by their own internal system. Why should they contact IPT, or anyone else and ask them "Does this seem OK"? The only report where that has happened is the "Des Browne" Fuel Systems report.

is it right that "tolerably safe" is in the report, or not?
Simple answer is, no it is not right. There is no definition for "tolerably safe". Tolerable refers to a level of risk, not safety. The only other time that I have heard the phrase mentioned was during Group Captain Hickman's inquest statement. If you read the report, you will see that the statement, which only appears in the executive summary, does not "fit" with the rest of the report.

Is this true? I think not from the letters?
I assumes that the letters being referred to are those between Angus Robertson and SoS. The latest one that I know about is the one stating 21 recs are accepted and being implemented. Remember, Group Captain Hickman believes that he has until the end of the year.

This seems to mean in your eyes that it should not fly until these are fixed
That is correct. Do you think that it is right to fly around with hot air ducts in the engine bay areas that were declared life expired back in 2005. Remember, a similar duct with regards to age, caused the XV227 incident. I am sure that some form of external examination is being carried, but that tells you nothing about internal corrosion.

Many are making much of these 30 recs
True, and you had better include QinetiQ as one of the "many", they wrote the report. Let me remind you, £247,000 was paid for this study, that's over £8,000 per recommendation, and only now are we starting to implement them with a back stop of the end of the year.

DV