PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Nomad Return?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2008, 13:17
john_tullamarine

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
First up, there exists a modest number of PPRuNers who are ex-Nomad tech folk who retain a fondness for the Type ...

don't have the government peeking over their shoulder

two of the reasons that the aircraft didn't achieve the market penetration it might have related to its being a fill-in project at GAF and being funded for short production runs only

the aircraft that it should have been in the first place

you mean a much smaller single engine turboprop such as was the model which graced Wriggle's desk ?

With a few minor changes the Nomad could be come a very successful aircraft

much of the problem related to the growth from a much smaller aircraft with an engine to match ...

Ceased production for safety reasons

there was a good story behind that idea .. the aircraft got some undeservedly bad press .. unfortunately I can't risk comment on that

including Air Safari in NZ

the NZ operators used to reckon that the only replacement which had half a chance of competing with the Nomad ... was a Nomad (the Oz Coastwatch folk also thought highly of the Type as I recall)

Economies of scale are dead

it has long been accepted that Australia had/has the capability to design and build an aircraft to the size of, say, a Caribou. Reality is that there is more percentage in offset production and technology transfer work which is the bulk of the local Industry in recent years .. however, more strength to Gippy Aero ..

The Nomad is too slow, short of range

but keep in mind that the original design was for a military close support aircraft .. ie something akin to a helo but much cheaper .. the effort was to develop minimal field length performance and non-prepared surface capability. As a consequence of the Westgate collapse, the program was delayed a bit which permitted the aerodynamics folk to develop the lateral control system to a high degree ... for an aircraft its size the low speed capabilities are notable. I can remember quite clearly being thrown in the back as ballast on a few early performance flight tests (mind you, I would fulfil that role far more effectively with my present physique than the younger .. diets be damned) ... Stuart driving and Patrick scribing .. and having my young eyes opened wide at what the aircraft could do on landing, in particular ...

You might like to do some sums on the metric payload capability/MTOW .. and see just how good the Nomad is compared to anything else on that metric alone ...

Of course, if your requirement is speed .. then the Nomad is not for you .. and that was intimately tied up with a lot of the bad press in days gone by ..

..not approach OZ to buy the rights to build the Nomad when the production ceased

something to do with the conditions which would be imposed by the Government, I suggest ...