PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - too old
Thread: too old
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2008, 03:27
Gas Producer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, Sean,

I can understand how you feel - wanting to do something you really want to do and having something about yourself becoming a barrier and there's perceivedly little you can do about it. Frustrating.

For what it's worth, I didn't have my first lesson until I was 36. Now, almost 7 years and 2,500 hours later I have the job that was my motivation to learn to fly in the first place.

Admittedly, it's not offshore, but that has never been my personal goal. I have achieved what I set out to do and now every next thing seems like a bonus.

A former colleague of mine was around 46 or 47 when he learned to fly and has been constantly employed since about the time he had 5 or 600 hours. I think he would be around 51 or 52 now.

Don't ever stop trying to achieve what you really want, but be practical about your goals - make sure they are achievable.

Do you want to fly, or do you want to fly offshore? What's more important?

I have a strong and significant respect for those in offshore work, and other IFR based operations, but I would never swap what I do for offshore work . . . it is simply too much fun.

I agree with everything previous posters to this thread have written. Sometimes, however, while those that are a little younger may not have 'lived' as much, they may have significantly more specific experience in the industry you are choosing to enter relatively late in your working life. It never hurts to respect that and use the knowledge they have to help yourself further.

Just my 2 cents worth . . . well maybe 5 cents.

Good luck.

GP