PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Medical/Psysical
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2008, 01:06
Night Hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tower test

I too failed the plates in the Doc's office and the Farnsworth. I was then told to do the test at the Melbourne School of Optometry, where I missed out by one light. The Dr then preceded to tell me to find another job.

Not giving up I then got a chance to do the practical test with the tower lights. The tower guys (MB) set up a practice one day after work and when I got to the test I nailed every light.
I was later told that the light in rooms of the test can affect what your vision and hence give a neg result. If you where glasses that to can affect the result. My experience only though.

So I would recommend the tower test if it gets down to last chance etc...but take you time and do a practice with your local tower. They generally aren't fussed about doing it because you either can do it or not.

From that test I was cleared of any restriction on my license. I now fly an A330 as FO to many ports overseas with no difficulty other than getting through sim checks etc... but the colour vision is not an issue.

I currently advise a flying school in MB on other students with this issue and am happy to help others not go through I had to.

Feel free to PM me if I can help on the tips on getting though the tests.

BTW QF don't care about colour problems if you have passed the CASA test etc..

Oh I when back to the School of Optometry to tell the DR what I though of her. Hopefully she didn't put off too many other guys.