PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI EMS Accident - Sam Houston National Forest, Texas June 8th
Old 20th Jun 2008, 22:56
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People are not dying from engine failures. They're dying from CFIT, LTE, and other similar things. I haven't seen a fatal accident caused by engine failure in a long time. We need to concentrate on what is killing us, not red herrings. If I'm flying a 206, engine failure during a vertical takeoff is not at the top of my list, it's near the bottom. Running out of tail rotor authority is near the top. The 206L had barely enough tail rotor authority, and the L3 with increased horsepower is woefully inadequate in that area. Putting an L4 tail rotor on L3s would do far more to increase safety than having another engine, or indeed almost anything that could be done. But nobody seems willing to spend the money to do that, even if one accident would cost more than doing the company's entire fleet. Proper flight instruments and IMC training would do even more. Never happen, GI.

Sasless must have got my engine failures. I've been flying since 1968, most of that full time, and I've never had an engine failure. Not one.